Saturday, January 14, 2006

razors back
I also spent from the middle of may till the middle of June in northern Ireland.

what I left out of the previous post is the rainy season in northern Ireland runs approximately January to December, so always take your rain gear. Personally I carried a small back pack in which I carried a rain coat and my camera some spare bits of clothing and what not.

the tourists have been avoiding this country for the last 30 years so it is not over run with tourists and the locals have not learned to be tired of people asking stupid questions. Like I said they are a very friendly people with out siders if not with themselves

for me I took my credit cards of course and some cash, but no travelers cheques as the last time I tried to cash a travelers check in Arizona I was treated like a criminal and just refuse to use them anymore. Instead I withdraw money from cash machines. The good news is that my Canadian bank card worked perfectly fine in the Irish cash machines and that's how got my spending cash.

the northern Ireland banks each issue their own bank notes but they are never the less British sterling, however they do not like northern Ireland pounds in England so it is best if you get some bank of England notes for when or if you transit through Heathrow airport. One of the cool things if you are a collector of bank notes is that there is a bank in northern Ireland that issues 5 pound notes that are actually made out of plastic, they are blue and have see through windows in them.

the other thing is they don't have a lot of tourist trap things as they haven't had a lot of tourists. So if you want to see the worlds largest..... Anything do not bother going. If you want a laid back vacation where somedays you have nothing better to do then sit in a pub and drink beer then go. They have some beautiful country and natural wonders but really the best thing about the place is the people. I quickly found a couple of pubs where I was welcome and practicaly a local.

oh and for the canuck and yanks they think 60 miles is a longgggg way and to be fair for them it is. The whole province of northern Ireland is only 5,400 sq miles or less than 75 miles square.

maybe next post I should say more about the Irish chick

1 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

yeah yeah
more irish chick

6:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home