Thursday, March 30, 2006

Quiet please! Quiet please!

Okay professor Sean is going to climb up on his soap box and give a sermon, so gather around get comfortable and those with out stinky feet take your shoes off.

I think the basic difference between people who like the concrete jungle and those that like the simple life is that the concrete jungle with its hustle and bustle gives you an excuse and a place to hide from yourself. People in the country live a slower placed life because they have no reason to run away from their lives, they are more attuned to who they are and are comfortable with who they are. People who move to Big cities do it to run away from themselves to get lost in the rat race and that way they never have to try and figure out who they are or accept it because there is always something waiting to be done somewhere waiting to be gone to.

And for those that can't move to the Big City, but still want to run away from their lives, tend to fill their lives with lots of drama, always a fire somewhere that needs putting out.

To live in an isolated spot and be happy is to be happy with who you are regardless of who it is that you are. To live in a Big City is to never have to confront who you are and therefore denial can be complete and acceptable. Life in a Big City is an anonymous life, life in a small town or city means everywhere you go, somebody knows you.

And people who were raised in a Big City have never known anything but anonymity so in a way they have a built in excuse.

in many ways I wish I could get some of the anonymity of a Big City, but I would never want to live in one. The Irish Chick and I once discussed moving near London and I nearly shit a brick because I just can't imagine myself in London. Too many people, too much noise, not enough room, but for her I would give it a go. Luckily for me her job fell through and the London plan was quickly scrapped.

I think I know who I am, I mostly am happy with who I am but I do know I am comfortable with who I am. The only thing I wish is that I was shorter and narrower so that I didn't always stick out like a sore thumb.

tell me I am wrong, does anyone out there have a different take on things

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

I am not sure I can give a real opinion. I have never lived in a "big" city. Are you considering the suburbs as city?

6:00 a.m.  
Blogger razorbeck said...

I am thinking more those people that think living in downtown manhatan and scraping by paying 1,800 to rent someones closset and saying how great it is because they never have to go home. theres always somewhere to go,blah... blah... blah..... those are the people i consider are hiding from themselves. They are vain enough to stare into a mirror but never look to see whats staring back

6:47 a.m.  
Blogger TLP said...

I think I disagree with you. I've never lived right in a big city, but I've lived in the suburbs of a big city: Los Angeles.

Now I live in a small town in PA (7,000 people), which is across a river from a small city (40,000 people). I've also lived in a rural area before. I just don't really see that big a difference in people based on where they live.

12:13 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well...I grew up in a very small town (10,000 people), and there simply wasn't a college or any job opportunities for me there once a graduated high school. So I moved to the "big city", with more opportunities. That's my take on it from my experience...I don't know what people do for a living if they don't own businesses or work for someone who owns a business in a small town. You can only have so many physicians or attorneys, etc., you know? And they didn't go to school in that same small town...

6:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home